These can be eaten straight out of the pan, on top of pasta, in a crusty roll,... the possibilities are endless!
Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
Makes about 12 golf ball-sized meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 grated or finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (I prefer fresh, but the powdery canned version would work too)
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- mozzarella, provolone, or other stretchy pizza cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce or crushed canned tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Thoroughly mix the beef, egg, garlic, Parmesan, oregano, and ground pepper.
- With clean hands, pick up a small handful of the meat mixture and shape it into a ball. Push one cheese cube into the center of the meatball and then close it up so that no cheese is showing. Repeat until you've used up all your meat mixture.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in an oven-proof frying pan on the stove top. Gently place the meatballs in the pan and allow to brown 1-2 minutes per side. Be careful when turning them that you're not breaking them or the cheese will escape.
- Once the meatballs are browned all around, spoon out and discard most of the oil from the pan and pour the tomato sauce on top of the meatballs.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the meatballs are fully cooked.