Another reason they like it is because it's a homogeneous brick of loaf. No bits of onion or herb or other non-meaty bits to pick out as my kids tend to do. I like to chop the onion, add it to the canned tomatoes, and then blend it together with a handheld stick blender before adding it into the meat mixture.
Easy Saucy Meatloaf
Inspired by this recipe
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs pounds ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped *(to hide the onions use a hand blender to puree them into the tomato sauce)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (or pureed canned tomatoes)
- 1 cup Italian (seasoned) bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or pureed canned tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl combine the ground meat, egg, onion, 1/2 cup tomato sauce and seasoned bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Press mixture into two loaf pans. Make a depression in the center and poke a few holes down the middle to ensure a good sauce coverage.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining 1 cup tomato sauce, vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar. Mix together until sugar has dissolved and pour liquid evenly over meatloafs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes until cooked through.