Wednesday 6 February 2013

Pita Pizzas

If my family had to pick a single food to eat for the rest of their lives, I think they'd all pick pizza. Coming up with simple and creative ways to make pizza while appealing to everyone's varying tastes is not a difficult task when starting with as blank a canvas as a pizza crust. Or, in the case of tonight, a pack of fresh pita bread.

After last night's cheesy meal I wanted my own pizza to be heavy on the veggies. And since I did my last produce shopping at Costco, I had an excessively large quantity of grape tomatoes on hand. So while I was prepping the rest of the toppings, I was also roasting up my grape tomatoes.

My pizza went into the oven with the roasted tomato mixture and some Parmesan cheese, and then I added a little extra Parmesan once it came out of the oven. 


My kids opted for plain mozzarella cheese pizzas, hold the sauce. One of them added garlic salt on top. My little one loves adding extra seasonings and herbs to her dishes!


Hubby's pizza was light on the sauce and topped with mushrooms, green peppers, kielbasa, and both mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. He added a sprinkling of olive oil after it came out of the oven.



Pita Pizza

  • pita bread
  • pizza ingredients
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Place pita bread on baking sheet and build your pizza.
  3. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until your cheese is starting to bubble and the edges are getting toasty.

Roasted Grape Tomatoes

  • 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp red wine or balsamic vinegar
  • Pinch of salt & twist of pepper

  1. Preheat oven to 375F. 
  2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. 
  3. Place mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. 
  4. Roast about 30-40 minutes, stirring gently about halfway through, until veggies are looking lightly browned and smell yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment